Do you know what Latvijas Policijas Virus is?
Latvijas Policijas Virus is a ransomware infection that masquerades as an official representative of Latvian police office. This version of the world-wide malware scam is intended for the computer users in Latvia. Their computers get locked and instead of their desktops the users see a fake security notification saying their computers are blocked because of violated Latvian laws. Since there is no way to access the desktop no matter how many time you restart the computer, Latvijas Policijas Virus looks like a legitimate notification from law enforcement authorities. However, that is very far from truth.
This ransomware infection is yet another variant of Ukash Viruses. It shares its interface with other localized ransomware programs that have been released recently, including Slovenská Polícia Virus, Türk Polisi Virus, Ministere de L’interieur Virus and others. All these infections accuse innocent users of committing terrible crimes and then ask for a ransom fee. In case of Latvijas Policijas Virus, this program expects the user to pay 50 LVL to unlock the computer and avoid being prosecuted. However, every single piece of information displayed in the security notification is false:
Jūsu dators ir blokets!
Jūsu datora darbs ir apturets neatrisinatas kiberaktivitates pazimju del.
Pants 108 - Azartspeles
Naudas sods vai brivibas atnemšana uz laiku lidz 2 gadiem
(Jūs spelejat azartspeles, bet ar Jūsu vaists likumu azarta biness ir aizliegts)
Sakara ar Valdibas lemumu 22.augusta, visi dotie tiesibu parkapumi var but aplukoti ka nosaciti, naudas soda apmaskas gadijuma
Naudas soda summa ir 50 LVL. Apmaksa javeic 48 stundu laika, pec parkapšanas atklašanas.
One of the "reasons" Latvijas Policijas Virus locks down your PC is "gambling". It says that the way you gamble is prohibited by the Latvian laws, and you might face an imprisonment sentence of up to 2 years. You have to pay a 50 LVL fine within 48 to avoid being prosecuted.
Users who get infected with this program must know that no matter how much you pay, the infection will remain within your computer. Hence you have to remove Latvijas Policijas Virus yourself following the instructions below:
Windows Vista & 7:
- Restart the computer.
- Keep pressing F8 before Windows logo appears.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the Advanced Boot Options menu. Press Enter.
- Go here to acquire SpyHunter: http://www.spyware-techie.com/download-sph
- Install the program and remove Latvijas Policijas Virus.
- Repeat the steps above from 1 to 3.
- If a confirmation box appears, click Yes.
- Access the Internet do download SpyHunter.
- Open Start menu.
- Click Run and then type "msconfig" into the Open: box. Click OK.
- Click the Startup tab on the System Configuration Utility.
- Uncheck all programs on the list and click Apply to save changes.
- Exit the menu and restart computer in Normal Mode.
- Install SpyHunter and launch a full system scan to terminate the ransomware.
In non-techie terms:
Latvijas Policijas Virus is a dangerous computer infection that locks down your desktop and does not allow you to access it no matter what you do. It wants your money, but you mustn't pay a single sent to it. Remove Latvijas Policijas Virus using the instructions above, making sure your computer is protected against similar threats.
Aliases: Policijas Virus.