Do you know what trovigo.com is?
Trovigo.com is a website that is used as a custom search engine by Conduit applications. Usually when users install Conduit browser extensions on their computers, they are offered to change their default search engines for search.conduit.com. However, that is not the only option, as we can see that several toolbars install trovigo.com as their default search engine. Generally, you can choose whether you want this search engine or not, but if your browser settings were modified without your permission, then you should remove trovigo.com immediately.
Some computer security experts label trovigo.com as browser hijacker, but that is not exactly true, because most of the time the installation requires user’s intervention, which means that the browser settings do not get changed unless you allow it. Conduit toolbars that are known to use this engine include BT syndication7 Toolbar at ct3314958.ourtoolbar.com and Tuto4pc SP Toolbar at ct3320052.ourtoolbar.com. However, these applications more often than not are distributed bundled with freeware, so you can never know what program may arrive at your doorstep if you often download free applications from third party websites.
Scroll down for full removal instructions
At first sight, trovigo.com looks like a decent search engine that can really provide you with relevant search results. However, if you use this search engine, you will see that it utilizes a custom version of Bing search engine. What is more, it is very likely that trovigo.com collects information on what you search for, because it constantly displays third party commercial advertisements. The data collected during your search sessions can be processed in order to generate commercial ads that would be related to your likes and preferences.
In fact, commercial advertisements are the most problematic aspect of trovigo.com and similar browser extensions. They may display third party content that is corrupted or even dangerous. Thus, if you click an advertisement that redirects you to an unfamiliar website you may find yourself exposed to a suspicious online marketing scheme or even worse – you could get infected with malware.
Of course, the possibility of malware infection is not very high, but to protect your computer from any potential threats, you should remove the toolbar that is responsible for bringing trovigo.com onto your computer and then restore your browser settings. To remove trovigo.com, follow the instructions below and then do scan the system with SpyHunter free scanner to make sure that you have removed all the unwanted and potentially dangerous files and programs for good.
How to remove unwanted programs
- Move mouse cursor to the bottom right corner.
- Click Settings on Charm bar and go to Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a program and remove unwanted applications.
Windows Vista & Windows 7
- Open Start menu and click Control Panel.
- Go to Uninstall a program and remove unwanted applications.
- Open Start menu and navigate to Control Panel.
- Select Add or remove programs and uninstall undesirable applications.
Restore your browser settings
- Press Alt+T and click Internet options.
- Under General tab change your default home page and click OK.
- Press Alt+X and click Manage add-ons.
- Click Search providers on the left.
- Set a new default search engine and delete trovigo.com. Click Close.
- Click search engine icon on the left of Firefox search box.
- Select Manage search engines from drop-down menu.
- Remove trovigo.com from the list and click OK.
- Click Firefox button and go to Options.
- Change your home page address under General tab and click OK.
- Press Alt+F and click Settings.
- Under On startup select Open a specific page or set of pages.
- Click Set pages, remove trovigo.com and enter a new home page address. Click OK.
- Select Manage search engines under Search.
- Set a new default search engine, delete trovigo.com and click Done.
In non-techie terms:
Trovigo.com is a custom search engine that can be set as your default search provider in case you install a browser plug-in that uses it. It is for the best to remove trovigo.com from the PC to avoid any potential computer security risks.
Aliases: Trovigo search.