Do you know what SOSO DESK is?
SOSO DESK is a potentially unwanted program that was created by Bysenda Technology Inc. This company is also the developer of the Search.sosodesktop.com search tool that users might be forced into downloading along with the PUP from sosodesktop.com. Although the installer of this program appears to offer an option allowing users to choose whether or not they want to change their new tab, default search provider, or homepage settings, all of this is just an illusion. If you do not check the box indicating that you agree with these changes, you will not be allowed to proceed with the installation of the PUP. Unfortunately, some users let this strange search tool in without thinking much about it. According to our analysis, this search tool is a browser hijacker that can showcase modified search results and display advertisements. You can learn more about this hijacker and its removal via a different report. Right now, let’s focus on deleting SOSO DESK.SOSO DESK screenshot
Scroll down for full removal instructions
Our research has revealed that the developers of SOSO DESK are also associated with Picexa, Uncheckit, OZIP, and other suspicious programs. Our analysis of these programs has shown that they came bundled with additional malware; usually, the hijackers from the Elex family (e.g., Amisites.com). Unfortunately, it is possible that the PUP will be downloaded onto your computer bundled with malware as well. You should be especially concerned about the additional software if you download SOSO DESK using an unknown third-party installer. There are plenty of malicious, misleading installers who are set up by malware distributors to spread dangerous infections. Trojans, ransomware, adware, hijackers, and other kinds of undesirable software could be spread along with the PUP and, depending on the installer, they could even be spread silently. If you suspect the existence of malware, quickly scan your PC to see if other threats are active, and, if they are, quickly delete them from your operating system.
Our proposed method of removal is represented below. Although this guide might seem intimidating, we believe that you will succeed if you follow the steps carefully. If you are struggling to delete SOSO DESK manually, you can always start a discussion below and ask for further assistance, or you can employ automated malware detection and removal software. Considering that you need to invest in anti-malware software anyway to prevent unwanted and dangerous programs from attacking you in the future, you might as well stick with the automatic removal option. Overall, you have to make the decision for yourself, and we are here to answer all questions that you might have.
Remove SOSO DESK from your PC
- Launch Explorer (tap Win+E keys on the keyboard).
- Enter %PROGRAMFILES% (or %PROGRAMFILES(x86)%, depending on the Windows version) into the bar.
- Right-click and Delete the folder called app_00000000.
- Right-click and Delete the SOSO DESK folder in these directories:
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\
- %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\
- %USERPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\
- Enter %APPDATA% into the Explorer’s address bar.
- Right-click and Delete the file named qidiancfg.db.
- Simultaneously tap Win+R to launch RUN and enter regedit.exe.
- In Registry Editor move to HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
- Right-click and Delete the value named sosodesk.
- Right-click and Delete the SOSO DESK key in these paths:
In non-techie terms:
SOSO DESK is a PUP because its services are very questionable and because it forces users to acquire a search tool that showcases advertisements instead of regular search results. We suggest deleting this PUP using automated malware removal software, but you can also use the manual removal guide above. Of course, if you choose the latter option, you will also need to think about further protection of your PC and the removal of potentially existing third-party infections. If you need any help, start a discussion below and we will address your issues quickly. Also, do not forget to use a trusted malware scanner to identify all threats active on your PC.