Do you know what Social Privacy Virus is?
Social Privacy Virus is a browser hijacker that functions as a browser plug-in. It installs an extension on your browser (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer), and then changes your default settings by modifying your search engine and even home page. Although Search Privacy Virus is not extremely dangerous on its own, you have to take into consideration the fact that it may be exploited by third parties for malware distribution. Hence, it is important that you remove Social Privacy Virus from your computer as soon as possible.
Although Social Privacy Virus changes your default search engine to search.conduit.com, this website does not provide you with an original search function. Were you to perform a web search via Conduit Search, you would soon see that it provides you with customized Bing search results. The difference is that Social Privacy Virus tweaks Conduit Search in a way that aside from relevant search results you are also displayed an extensive amount of commercial advertisements. They are especially obvious when you access online shopping websites such as ebay.com or wallmart.com.
Social Privacy Virus screenshot
Scroll down for full removal instructions
It should be pointed out that apart from being annoying Social Privacy Virus ads might also turn out to be dangerous. The danger arises from the fact that Social Privacy Virus collects your web browsing data in order to provide with relevant ad content. Thus, the commercial advertisements you see appear on your browser are usually related to your browsing history. However, even if some of them might seem to be useful, you need to remember that Social Privacy Virus does not review the third party content embedded in the ads, so even if the ads come with corrupted links, there is nothing much Social Privacy Virus could do about it.
Thus, you need to be responsible about your computer security yourself. Stay away from suspicious advertisements and restore your browser settings to default. If your default home page has been changed without your permission, then you should seriously scan your PC with SpyHunter free scanner for potentially dangerous applications and remove all together. You will find manual removal instructions for Social Privacy Virus below, but to do forget that a full computer scan with a reliable antimalware tool is always a good idea, especially when you need to check for any unwanted residual files.
In case you have any further questions regarding Social Privacy Virus or its removal, you can always leave a comment below. Remember to stay away from suspicious websites and do not download freeware from third party pages, because it might as well be bundled with the likes of Social Privacy Virus!
How to remove Social Privacy Virus
- Move mouse cursor to the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Select Settings when Charm bar appears and then click Control Panel.
- Open Uninstall a program and remove Social Privacy and Search Protect.
Windows Vista & Windows 7
- Open Start menu and select Control panel.
- Click Uninstall a program and remove Search Protect and Social Privacy.
- Open Start menu and go to Control Panel.
- Select Add or remove programs and uninstall Social Privacy and Search Protect.
Remove Social Privacy Virus from browser
- Press Alt+T and click Internet options.
- Press Use Default button under General tab and click OK.
- Press Alt+T and go to Manage add-ons.
- Disable Social Privacy at Toolbars and Extensions.
- Click Search providers on the left pane.
- Set a new search engine and remove Conduit Search.
- Click Firefox button and go to Options.
- Press Restore to Default under General tab and click OK.
- Click the search engine icon on the left of Firefox search box.
- Select Manage search engines on drop-down menu.
- Remove unwanted search engine from the list and click OK.
- Press Alt+F and select Tools.
- Go to Extensions and remove Social Privacy.
- Click Settings on the left.
- Select Open a specific page or set of pages under On Startup.
- Enter a new home page address and click OK.
- Click Manage search engines button under Search.
- Set a new default search engine; remove Conduit Search and press Done.
In non-techie terms:
Social Privacy Virus is a browser hijacker that modifies your browser settings and then displays a lot of commercial ads with potentially dangerous content. You should remove Social Privacy Virus at once in order to protect yourself from potential threats.