Do you know what SnapMyScreen is?
SnapMyScreen is a potentially unwanted toolbar that users often install accidentally when they browse the Internet. Some users also think that SnapMyScreen is a browser hijacker because when you install the full setup, this extension changes your default browser settings. However, that is not the case. You can restore your browser settings and remove SnapMyScreen from your computer manually. Scroll down to the bottom of this description for manual removal instructions. Also, if you have any additional questions on how to protect your system from similar intruders, you can always leave us a comment.
Our research team says that the main homepage for SnapMyScreen is located at snapmyscreen.com and that this extension comes from the Mindspark family. It means that this application is directly related to PremierDownloadManager Toolbar, Citysearch Toolbar, MyScrapNook Toolbar, and many other applications from the same group. Unlike most of the adware programs that do not have a direct download links; SnapMyScreen can be downloaded at snapmyscreen.com. Also, the application comes with a clear installation wizard that even informs users about the oncoming browser modifications. If a user fails to notice these installation steps, then the browser settings do get changed.SnapMyScreen screenshot
Scroll down for full removal instructions
Needless to say, a direct download is not the only distribution method employed by SnapMyScreen. Just like many other adware applications, SnapMyScreen can also come bundled with other freeware applications. In fact, it is far more likely that users install SnapMyScreen onto their computers together with a list of other unwanted applications.
Just like its predecessors, SnapMyScreen is associated with Ask.com. That is why this extension can change your default homepage to home.tb.ask.com. The reason this extension can come across as a browser hijacker is that even if you remove SnapMyScreen via Control Panel, it does not reset your browser settings. In other words, you have to change your homepage and default search engine on your own.
Although SnapMyScreen may provide you with the service it promotes, you have to consider all the other potential security threats that are associated with this browser extension. Mindspark toolbars collect data on your web browsing habits, and, as a result, they can expose you to unreliable websites by redirecting you to their partner web pages. That is not to say that SnapMyScreen wants to infect you with malware on purpose. It does not try to do that.
However, you need to take all the potential risks into account, and in order to protect your computer from harm, you have to remove SnapMyScreen immediately. While you are at it, make sure you terminate all the other unwanted programs as well.
How to remove SnapMyScreen
- Drag mouse cursor to the bottom right of the screen.
- Click Settings on Charm bar and go to Control panel.
- Open Uninstall a program and remove SnapMyScreen.
Windows Vista & Windows 7
- Open Start menu and click Control panel.
- Select Uninstall a program and remove SnapMyScreen.
- Click Start menu button and go to Control panel.
- Select Add or remove programs and uninstall SnapMyScreen.
Change browser settings
- Press Alt+T and click Manage add-ons.
- Click Search providers on the left.
- Set a new default search engine and remove Ask.
- Press Alt+T and click Internet options.
- Change your default homepage under General tab and click OK.
- Click the search engine icon the left of Firefox search box.
- Select Manage search engines on drop-down menu.
- Remove Ask from the list and click OK.
- Press Alt+T and click Options.
- Change your homepage address under General tab and press OK.
- Press Alt+T and click Add-ons.
- Disable and remove SnapMyScreen from Extensions. Restart browser.
- Press Alt+F and click Tools. Go to Extensions.
- Remove SnapMyScreen and click Settings on the left.
- Select Open a specific page or set of pages under On Startup.
- Click Set pages and change your homepage address. Click OK.
- Select Manage search engines under Search.
- Set a new default search engine, delete SnapMyScreen and click Done.
In non-techie terms:
SnapMyScreen is an adware application that will display annoying and potential harmful commercial content. Remove SnapMyScreen from your computer and invest in a licensed antispyware application because you have to protect your PC from harm.