Do you know what Semnager is?
Semnager is a silently running Trojan whose existence is usually recognized due to the hijacked browsers. As malware researchers have discovered, the suspicious infection can cause the unauthorized home page/search provider modifications within IE, Chrome and Firefox browsers. Even though some computer users rush to remove default-search.net browser hijacker, in reality, you need to delete Trojan.Semnager. Note that this infection may lead to the illicit installation of the Linkey browser extension as well. What is more, instead of the Default Search, the search tools may be replaced with linkeyproject.com. Either way, you need to remove unreliable software right away because it may cause various problems.
Did you know that Semnager can install itself without permission? This is why many computer users fail to delete the program right after it enters the system. The files composing the infection may be hidden and run silently without presenting any symptoms until the browser hijacking is initiated. Unfortunately, Semnager Trojan may enter the system silently bundled with other silently running threats. This means that more disturbing activity may await you. If you do not want to take any risks, we recommend inspecting the operating system and making sure that all unreliable software is removed. If you are successful, you will not need to worry about private data leaking the attacks of adware or the infiltration of fake malware removers.
Needless to say, the detection of Semnager is quite complicated; however, if you know what symptoms to look out for, you will detect this threat without much trouble. If you are struggling with the task, you can employ a malware scanner to help you identify all threats. In fact, it is best to use legitimate security software which will scan the operating system, delete all existing threats and will ensure full-time protection against other malware. If you decide to perform the manual Semnager removal, you can begin with the instructions below. Note that the presented guides do not guarantee complete removal of the Trojan.
Remove the undesirable programs
Remove from Windows XP:
- Go to the Task Bar, click Start and select Control Panel.
- Double-click Add or Remove Programs to find the undesirable software.
- Select the undesirable program and Remove it.
Remove from Windows Vista & Windows 7:
- Navigate to the left of the Task Bar and click the Windows (Start) icon.
- Open the Control Panel and then move to Uninstall a program.
- Right-click the application you want to delete and select Uninstall.
Remove from Windows 8:
- Access the Metro UI menu, right-click on the screen and select All apps.
- Select Control Panel, go to Uninstall a program and find the undesirable software.
- Right-click and Uninstall the programs you wish to delete.
Delete the unfamiliar search tools
Delete from Internet Explorer:
- Launch IE, simultaneously tap Alt+T and select Manage Add-ons.
- Go to Search Providers and Remove the undesirable option. Click Close.
- Tap Alt+T again but this time select Internet Options.
- Click the General tab and find the Home Page box right below.
- Overwrite/remove the undesirable URL and click OK.
Delete from Mozilla Firefox:
- Launch Firefox and move to the Firefox search box on the right.
- Click the search provider icon and choose Manage Search Providers.
- Remove the undesirable search provider and click OK.
- Simultaneously tap keys Alt+T (Tools menu) and select Options.
- Click the General tab, change/remove the Home Page URL and click OK.
Delete from Google Chrome:
- Launch Chrome, simultaneously tap Alt+F and select Settings.
- Under On Startup mark Open a specific page or set of pages.
- Click Set pages and change/remove the undesirable URL. Click OK.
- Under Appearance mark Show Home button.
- Click Change and remove/overwrite the undesirable URL. Click OK.
- Under Search click Manage search engines.
- Click the X displayed on the URL of the undesirable search provider. Click Done.
In non-techie terms:
You should remove Semnager from the Windows operating system right away. The clandestine Trojan can hijack the browsers and force you into using a completely unreliable and useless search tool. If you have no experience with the removal of malware, we recommend using the services of a reliable automatic malware remover. If you are confident about your knowledge and skills, you can delete Semnager manually. Simply remember that even though the program may seem non-existent, it does not mean that it not there.