Do you know what SearchAssist.me is?
SearchAssist.me is a browser hijacker that also functions as a browser add-on. According to our research lab team, this program seldom changes your default homepage and search engine to SearchAssist.me, although it should do so. After all, that is what one would expect of a browser hijacker. It seems that this program has not been made properly, so it has a lot of shortcomings. It tries to pass for a legitimate add-on, but you have to remove SearchAssist.me from the PC as soon as possible, because you can never know how it could be used for malicious purposes.
The main thing about such applications is that they can be exploited by third parties. SearchAssist.me is vulnerable, and it cannot ensure that all the information it provides you with is safe. At first sight, it might seem that SearchAssist.me could be a useful search assistant. After all, this browser add-on is available for download at Chrome Web Store. Thus, it makes an impression that it is a legal application. It says “SearchAssist will enhance your search results by giving you more information about your search keyword. The additional information is displayed in your favorite search website.”
It means that with SearchAssist.me installed on your computer, this browser hijacker will be able to track which websites you visit and what you search for online. It will affect your default search engine, and it is highly probable that you will be presented with commercial search results as well. Technically, by doing so SearchAssist.me does not endanger your system because it is not a genuine computer virus. However, it opens various possibilities that, if used properly, could result in serious computer security issues.
To avoid SearchAssist.me and similar applications you need to be very careful about downloading freeware from third-party websites. It is true that SearchAssist.me could be found at official websites, but more often than not, such programs arrive bundled with freeware apps. Hence, whenever you are about to download a software application from an unfamiliar website, stop and think twice. Take note that freeware apps often come in packs, so if you have SearchAssist.me on your computer, you most probably have other unwanted apps installed as well.
To check the current system status, run a full PC scan with SpyHunter free scanner. You will be able to determine all the undesirable applications on your system. What is more, removing SearchAssist.me manually is not hard, because you can uninstall it via Control Panel. Afterwards, you should reset your browser settings to default and scan your computer once again, just to be sure that you have got everything covered.
Manual SearchAssist.me Removal
- Move mouse cursor to the bottom right of the screen.
- Click Settings on Charm bar and go to Control panel.
- Open Uninstall a program and remove SearchAssist.me.
Windows Vista & Windows 7
- Click Start menu button and select Control panel.
- Go to Uninstall a program and remove SearchAssist.me.
- Open Start menu and go to Settings.
- Click Control Panel and select Add or remove programs.
- Uninstall SearchAssist.me.
Reset your browser settings to default
- Press Alt+T and select Internet options.
- Open Advanced tab and click Reset.
- Mark Delete personal settings and press Reset.
- Click Close.
- Press Alt+H and select Troubleshooting information.
- Click Reset Firefox at the top right of a new tab.
- Click Reset Firefox on a pop-up box and press Finish.
- Press Alt+F and click Settings.
- Scroll down and select Show advanced settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click Reset browser settings.
- Press Reset on a pop-up box to confirm your selection.
You may also choose the second set of instructions that you see below this article. Should you have any questions, you can always leave us a comment.
In non-techie terms:
SearchAssist.me is a potentially dangerous application that affects all main browsers. You need to remove this program from your browser and your computer, if you want to avoid serious computer security problems.