Do you know what SafeSearch is?
SafeSearch refers to a search engine and toolbar that are promoted by AVSoftware, LLC. When the user downloads the SafeSearch toolbar, he or she is asked to accept the agreement and decide whether or not SafeSearch should change the home page and search providers to safesearch.net. The application is also promoted by free applications, which means that SafeSearch can sometime be installed accidentally as the majority of computer users do not read the information in the installation wizards.
We have found that SafeSearch runs on Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. On Mozilla Firefox it is installed as an extension, while on Internet Explorer it is found as Safe Search Toolbar and SafeSearch which is a browser helper object.
Scroll down for full removal instructions
The application in question should be removed from the PC if you do not want to find links advertising items relevant to your search queries. Moreover, if you do not like playing online games, the toolbar may be of no use as it contains links to Facebook, playzone24.com, and uniblue.com, where a system optimization program is promoted. As regards the link to the website offering you to scan the PC, it functions as an advertisement. According to the license agreement, AVSoftware can alter their products, which implies that from time to time they can update the toolbar by changing the built-in ads. Hence, remove SafeSearch if you do not want to have a useless toolbar even though it is said to be safe:
The Software is not spyware, by which we mean that the software does not facilitate keystrokes monitoring, does not interfere with normal installation, operation or removal of the Software or other programs, does not harm or compromise program or data stored on your computer, and does not introduce or facilitate malicious or harmful code of any kind.
The search engine is presented as capable of filtering insecure websites which is done by considering such factors as vendor reliability, child safety, ratings of the websites, users’ reviews, and so one. If you find the safesearch.net somewhat annoying, remove it from the PC right now. Below you will find our instructions which you should follow in order get rid of SafeSearch manually. Nevertheless, it is advisable to remove the unwanted toolbar by using SpyHunter as it can safeguard the system against malware and potentially unwanted programs which are very often bundled with freeware.
Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Click Start - > Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a program.
- Double-click SafeSearch (no publisher indicated).
- Open the Start menu and click Control Panel.
- Click Add or Remove programs.
- Select SafeSearch and click Remove.
- Hover the mouse over the left corner of the screen.
- Select Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a program.
- Double-click SafeSearch to uninstall it.
Remove SafeSearch from your browsers
- Press Alt+T.
- Click Internet Options.
- On the General tab, change the home page.
- Click Apply.
- In the same window, click Settings in the Search section and change the search provider.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+A.
- Remove SafeSearch and close the tab.
- Open the drop-down menu next to the search box and click Manage Search Engines.
- Remove the unwanted search provider and select a new one.
- Press Alt+T to open the Tools menu.
- Click Options.
- On the General tab, change the home page and click OK.
In non-techie terms:
SafeSearch is a toolbar promoting safesearch.net which is a search engine. The computer users who blindly install this browser add-on along with a free application may think that SafeSearch is a browser hijacker. If you have agreed to have your home page and search engine changed, then the application is not an infection as it has been installed with your approval. In order to remove SafeSearch, follow the instructions provided and then install our recommended scanner to make sure that all the files associated with the application in questions are removed.
Aliases: SafeSearch Toolbar.
- Install SpyHunter by double-clicking the downloaded file. Follow the on-screen instructions
- SpyHunter will automatically scan and detect threats