Do you know what OtShot is?
OtShot is an application developed by Keydownload LTD. It provides free photo editing service and with this program installed on your PC you can personalize your photos, and then share them with your friends and family. OtShot is not a computer virus, however, it comes with a number of applications that are considered to be potentially unwanted programs, and it is the main reason why security experts recommended removing OtShot from the PC.
Despite the fact that OtShot does not pose any threat to your system’s security, the additional programs could as well lead to a malware infection, especially if they are exploited by a malicious third party. For example, when you install OtShot on your computer, the Setup Wizard also offers you to install Search Protect by Conduit (new search provider), Key Bar Community Toolbar (Conduit plugin), OptimizerPro (dysfunctional system optimization program) and other plugins that you most probably do not need. Naturally, you can choose not to install these additional extensions, because OtShot Setup Wizard allows you to opt out. Nevertheless, a great number of users simply go through the installation automatically, and this is how they end up with unwanted programs on their PC.
That is also the reason why OtShot is associated with browser hijackers – users think that the program hijacked (modified) their browsers while in fact they agreed to the customizations themselves! Needless to say, that these modifications are not extremely dangerous on their own, but they do cause a number of security risks, especially as the Search Protect by Conduit search engine can display sponsored search results, that could even lead you to potentially dangerous websites that host malware.
Therefore, you need to remove OtShot and all the other applications that came with it. It is not hard to terminate the application on your own, so follow the instructions below for manual OtShot removal.
How to remove OtShot
- Move mouse cursor to the bottom right of the screen.
- Click Settings and go to Control Panel.
- Open Uninstall a program and remove OtShot, OptimizerPro and Jolly Wallet.
Windows Vista & Windows 7
- Open Start Menu and click Control Panel.
- Go to Uninstall a program and remove OtShot, OptimizerPro and Jolly Wallet.
- Open Start Menu and go to Control Panel.
- Select Add or remove programs and uninstall OtShot, OptimizerPro and Jolly Wallet.
How to restore browser settings
- Press Alt+X and click Internet Options.
- Select Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Select Delete personal settings and click Reset.
- When the reset is complete, click Close and OK.
- Press Firefox button and navigate to Help.
- Click Troubleshooting information.
- Another tab will open. Click Reset Firefox.
- Press Reset Firefox again.
- When the reset is complete, click Finish.
- Press Alt+F and go to Tools.
- Select Extensions and remove undesirable plugins.
- Click Settings on the left and select Open a specific page or set of pages.
- Click Set pages and enter a new home page address. Press OK.
- Select Manage search engines under Search.
- Set a new default search engine, remove unwanted search provider and click Done.
Manual removal does not guarantee that you delete all the unwanted files from your PC. Therefore, once you have gotten rid of OtShot, scan your PC with SpyHunter free scanner for the final check-up. Invest in a powerful antimalware tool if necessary.
In non-techie terms:
OtShot is a free photo application that allows you to customize your photos. However, it comes with a number of bundled freeware applications that you may not necessarily find useful. Remove OtShot from your PC along with other programs and protect your system from possible security threats.
Aliases: OtShot software.