Learn how to make your PC start up faster and free up memory and resources for free.
Does your computer take forever to start up? Do you feel that your computer is loading several unnecessary programs into memory during startup that you do not use? If so, you can follow simple steps to speed up the startup process and alleviate available memory (RAM) at the same time.
Many of us know that Windows Vista is a memory hog and many Windows XP machines that you may have purchase from your local electronics store contain several preinstalled programs that load during startup that slow down your system. MSConfig (System Configuration Utility) is a built-in Windows tool that can be used to free up system resources which may allow your computer to startup faster and free up used memory.
Can't I uninstall programs to make my PC startup faster?
Simply uninstalling unused programs is a good step to free up resources but it does not help with the boot time if it is not a program that is loaded during Windows startup.
Steps to take.
MSConfig will list applications that can be disabled for load at Windows startup in the Startup tab of the utility. Below are the steps to take to perform the procedure for disabling applications from loading at Windows startup.
Note: If you disable any programs from loading at start then the associated application may become unusable after your computer has booted.
- Go to Start menu > select Run.
- Type in msconfig and click OK.
- Locate the Startup tab and click it.
- Identify the startup items and determine which ones that you want to disable from loading at startup. This is a good opportunity to identify rogue anti-spyware programs that may be present on your system. (disabling a rogue anti-spyware program may not solve all issues such as popup alerts. It is recommended that you completely remove rogue programs utilizing one of our removal guides).
- Uncheck any of the items that you want to disable and then click OK.
- The System Configuration Utility will ask you if you want to restart or exit without restart.
- Click Restart.
- When your system comes back up it may display a System Configuration Utility message. If you do not wish to undo the changes then you can check the box for "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" and then click OK.
You have completed the process for disabling programs so that your computer will start up faster. If you would like to add your experience please post your comments below.