Stop the Desktop Cleanup Wizard from popping up every 60 days in Windows.
Do you get the annoying message on your Windows machine to cleanup unused desktop items and shortcuts? Is this something that you do not want to normally perform as often as Windows wants too?
You can disable the desktop cleanup wizard function with a registry tweak. Many times we have items on our desktop that we do not use often but it does not necessarily mean that you want to remove them from your desktop. This will prevent the desktop cleanup wizard from prompting you to remove any unused desktop and shortcut items automatically if you were to give the wizard permission.
Registry Editing Warning: This article is for educational purposes. By using this information you agree to be bound by the disclaimer. Editing the registry may render your system unstable. Please take the proper precautions to backup your system before editing the registry. Spyware-Techie.com and the author will not be responsible for any damages. Use at own risk.
Follow the steps below to disable the desktop cleanup wizard.
- Open your registry editor by going to Start Menu > Run > type in regedit click OK.
- Find the path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
Desktop\CleanupWiz using the folders on the left pane.
- Once you have located this path you must add a new entry called NoRun by right clicking an open area below the listed entries and then select NEW > DWORD value. Type in NoRun and press enter.
- Set the value of the NoRun entry to 1 by double clicking the NoRun entry and entering a 1 in the Value data field. Click OK.
0 = Enable Desktop Cleanup Wizard
1 = Disable Desktop Cleanup Wizard
- Close the Registry Editor and Restart Windows for the changes to take effect.
Did You Find this Article Helpful?Subscribe to Spyware Techie for more!
Or get latest articles to your via email: