Do you know what Guffins Toolbar is?
If you have noticed a strange toolbar on your browser, it is very probable that Guffins toolbar, the one published by Conduit or Mindspark, has been installed onto your computer. You have probably done this yourself or it might have come bundled with unreliable software. Thus, if you have found out that this toolbar got onto your computer without your direct permission, you should remove it without any further considerations. You will have to remove its extension from all the major browsers as it is compatible with them. Do you want to find out how to do that? Keep reading and we will tell you.
Both version of Guffins toolbar work rather similarly. Firstly, they change your homepage and your preferred search engine after the installation on your system. The toolbar published by Mindspark is closely related to ask.com, whereas the one by Conduit changes your homepage to search.conduit.com and search provider to Trovi search. You will be able to restore the changes only if you erase Guffins toolbar itself. Even though it might look rather useful at first, you should know that it might cause you more problems than you think. Is it worth risking?
Guffins Toolbar screenshot
Scroll down for full removal instructions
One of the main reasons why you should remove this browser plugin by Mindspark is the fact that you will see advertisements together with search results, which means that you might be led to malicious software without even knowing this. In case of the toolbar published by Conduit, the manual removal is necessary in order to stop its ability to access different kinds of data on the websites that you visit, your tabs, and browsing history. It is also capable of modifying your bookmarks, apps, and extensions. We believe that this is very suspicious as many facts about you might be revealed from all the gathered data.
In order to stop all the undesirable activities of Guffins Toolbar, you have to remove it from your system as soon as possible. You can do that manually or automatically, depending on your choice. For the manual removal, please find the instructions below. However, if you wish to remove Guffins Toolbar automatically, you have to acquire a reliable malware remover. We recommend using SpyHunter because it is the tool that will erase all the threats instantly.
Remove Guffins Toolbar
- Open the Start menu and then select Settings.
- Go to Control Panel.
- Click Add or Remove Programs.
- Select useless application and click Remove.
Windows 7 and Vista
- Open the Start menu and select Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a program.
- Right-click on the undesirable program and select Uninstall.
- Right-click on the Metro UI background (you can access it by pressing Windows key).
- Select All apps.
- Select Control Panel from the list.
- Go to Uninstall a program.
- Right-click on Guffins Toolbar and then click the Uninstall button.
- Launch your browser and then tap Alt+T.
- Select Manage Add-ons.
- Click Toolbars and Extensions.
- Select the extension and click Disable.
- Select Search Providers from the menu on the left.
- Select a new search provider and click Set as default.
- Click on the search provider related to Guffins toolbar and click Remove.
- Press Alt+T again and then select Internet Options.
- Click the General tab and then type in your homepage URL in the field near the Home Page.
- Click OK.
- Launch your browser and then press Ctrl+Shift+A.
- Select Extensions from the menu on the left.
- Click on the undesirable extension and select Remove.
- Go to the start page of your browser.
- Click on the search provider icon in the top-right part of the screen.
- Select a new search provider from the menu.
- 7. Click on the icon again and then select Manage Search Engines…
- Click on the search provider and select Remove.
- Tap Alt+T and go to Options.
- Under the General tab, type in your homepage URL and click OK.
- Open your browser and tap Alt+F.
- Select Tools and then access Extensions.
- Click on the extension and then click the recycle bin button.
- Select Remove.
- Select Settings from the Chrome menu on the left.
- Under On startup, tick Open a specific page or set of pages and click Set pages.
- Add/remove URL and click OK.
- In the Appearance section, mark Show Home button and click Change.
- Add a new homepage URL. Click OK.
- Select Manage search engines… under Search.
- Select a new search provider and click Make default.
- Click on the search engine that you want to erase and click X.
- Click Done.
In non-techie terms:
If you have noticed any version of Guffins Toolbar on your system, you should definitely remove it because it might cause you inconvenience. It might not only lead you to potential threats, but also collect plenty of the information related to your browsing habits, which seems suspicious. If you decide to erase Guffins Toolbar manually, you can download a free reliable SpyHunter scanner if you click on the button below. It will help you to find out if there are no other threats left on your PC.