Do you know what File Type Helper is?
You may face File Type Helper after you attempt to open a file with an unknown file extension. Instead of facing the regular Windows dialog box, you may discover an unfamiliar one indicating that you have an easy access to the web allowing you to learn more about different file extensions and software which may be used to open them. In fact, this is the main reason you must delete File Type Helper from the operating system. Even though the program itself is relatively harmless, you could get in trouble if you decided to install software promoted via it. How does that work? Continue reading to find out more.File Type Helper screenshot
Scroll down for full removal instructions
File Type Helper usually runs without the knowledge of a computer user because it may be installed bundled with other applications in a clandestine manner. Once installed it does not show up in the list of the installed software, which is why its removal may be more complicated than you would want it to be. Overall, it is unlikely that you would think about the removal unless you tried to open a file and were presented with a box suggesting these options.
1) Search the Internet for the software that can help to open this file.
2) Read and learn about without file extension file.
3) Open this file using software which is already installed.
If you choose the third option, you will face no suspicious activity; however, if you choose the first two ones, you will be redirected to filesolver.com and will be offered to install FreeUltimateFileOpener or some other suspicious third party application. We do not recommend installing any unfamiliar software unless you research it and are sure that it is harmless. Keep in mind that in some cases harmless looking software may be a camouflage for the installation of bundled software. This is how File Type Helper can travel as well, and ConvertFilesforFree is one of the programs which may be responsible for this. Getting unreliable software removed is an unnerving process, which is why you need to be careful with software installation at all times.
Use the manual removal guides below to delete undesirable software. This may effectively remove File Type Helper as well; however, there is no certainty in that. You can also find uninstall.exe related to the PUP (potentially unwanted program) and delete it by launching the file. Of course, it is most effective to install automatic malware removal software capable of further Windows protection as well.
Delete software from Windows
Delete from Windows 8:
- Access the Metro UI screen (tap Windows key), right-click and select All apps.
- Open the Control Panel menu and click Uninstall a program.
- Right-click the program you want to remove and select Uninstall.
Delete from Windows Vista and Windows 7:
- Navigate to the left of the Task Bar and click the Windows icon for the Start menu.
- Open the Control Panel and in the menu select Uninstall a program.
- Right-click the program you want to remove from the PC and select Uninstall.
Delete from Windows XP:
- Move to the Task Bar below, click the Start button and select Control Panel.
- Double-click Add or Remove Programs and find the installed software.
- Click the undesirable program you wish to get rid of and select Remove.
In non-techie terms:
File Type Helper is a potentially undesirable program which deserves removal. You can follow the manual removal tips or you can install authentic security software to delete the suspicious program automatically. If you do not know how to find undesirable programs running on the computer, you certainly can use a malware scanner. You can install it using the guides below.