Do you know what Chitka Pop-ups is?
Chitka Pop-ups is an adware program that displays a list of commercial advertisements specifically tailored to meet your preferences. The pop-up advertisements are displayed on a list of pages, and cannot be close, because Chitka Pop-ups does not provide such function on its advertisements. Also, it is important not to confuse Chitka Pop-ups with Chitika advertising company which is an official legal body. Although it is quite possible that the similarity of the names is intentional, to confuse computer users and make them think it is Chitika that is responsible for all these annoying pop-ups.
While the main thing Chitka Pop-ups does is bombarding you with commercial ads, it also collects information related to your browsing habits behind your back. The adware needs this information to display customized advertisements to you. However, since this adware can collect your browsing history, in case it gets exploited by a third party, it might as well be reprogrammed to steal sensitive personal information as well, for example, your banking logins or passwords.
Of course, you need to remove Chitka Pop-ups from your PC, because of the possible malware infection risk. It is also possible for this adware to get installed onto your system together with specific rootkits that hide their presence from security products. However, you can check whether you have any rootkits on your PC by performing a full system scan with SpyHunter free scanner. If scan results are positive, you need to remove rootkits along with Chitka Pop-ups using a powerful antimalware product. It is also possible to terminate Chitka Pop-ups manually, by modifying your hosts file.
Chitka Pop-ups Manual Removal Instructions
- Double-click My Computer and go to Local Disk (C:).
- Open Windows folder and double-click System32.
- When you open drivers folder, double-click etc folder.
- Use Notepad to open hosts file.
- For Windows XP, the final line at the hosts file should be 127.0.01 localhost. For Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, there should be two lines: 127.0.01. localhost and ::11 localhost.
- If there are more lines beneath the ones described in the previous step, remove them at once and save changes.
Restore default browser settings
For Internet Explorer
- Press Alt+X and select Manage add-ons.
- Remove unfamiliar add-ons from Toolbars and Extensions.
For Mozilla Firefox
- Press Ctrl+Shift+A for Add-ons Manager tab to open.
- Disable and remove unknown add-ons from Extensions.
For Google Chrome
- Press Alt+F and go to Tools.
- Click Extensions and delete unfamiliar plugins.
After manual removal you are highly recommended to perform a full PC scan with SpyHunter free scanner once again, to be absolutely sure that you have deleted all the malware from your system.
In non-techie terms:
Chitka Pop-ups is an adware program that spams you with annoying pop-up advertisements. These advertisements are supposed to generate financial gain to its creators, but the truth is that the program exposes your system to other malware infections, and you need to remove Chitka Pop-ups right now.