Do you know what Boxo-search.com is?
Boxo-search.com is a search engine that users install on their computers accidentally. It usually comes bundled with freeware and so the users do not realize that they set up this program themselves. There is no need to panic if your default homepage suddenly changes to Boxo-search.com because the browser hijacker cannot infect you with dangerous programs willingly. However, it is important to remove Boxo-search.com as soon as possible because this program is associated with a number of computer security issues, and if you do not terminate it right now, you are basically leaving an opening in the wall of your computer security for the cyber criminals to abuse.
First, it is important to realize how such applications get distributed around the web. You must have visited the program’s main page at info.boxo-search.com already. Thus you know that the hijacker does not get distributed directly. It is impossible to download the program from its main page.Boxo-search.com screenshot
Scroll down for full removal instructions
As mentioned above, users install Boxo-search.com themselves without realizing it. That is because the hijacker is distributed bundled with freeware. Think of all the applications that are available on a number of file sharing websites for free. You might think that those apps are safe, and technically we CAN say that they do not intend to infect you with anything. But this is where the “third-party” factor comes into play. Freeware apps are distributed on third-party websites via third-party installers, and there is no way to know what other additional programs are included in their setup. Boxo-search.com can be one of those programs.
Consequently, if you go through the installation automatically, without reading all the steps carefully, it is only natural that Boxo-search.com gets set up in your system as well. Thus, the next time you open your browser, you see Boxo-search.com set as your default homepage and search engine.
Some users think that it is not a big deal to keep Boxo-search.com on their computers because it looks like a genuine search engine. However, the problem is that all the other browser hijackers from this family looked just like that as well. That would include only-search.com, buenosearch.com, holasearch.com, personal-browser.com, and many others. All these browser hijackers boasted that their “advanced technology provides you with the best of what the web has to offer, and makes it easier than ever to find exactly what you are searching for.”
The question, however, is why you should use some unknown search engine when there are popular and reliable major search engines that have been out there for years. Not to mention that Boxo-search.com enters your system uninvited, so it should be enough to convince you that it is for the best to get rid of Boxo-search.com at once.
Our research team says that Boxo-search.com has an entry on the list of the installed programs in Control Panel, so it means that you can remove it manually. However, you will also have to delete all the traces of this program from your browser. We provide instructions for that below this description, but we would also like to remind you that there is a good chance that other unwanted programs entered your system along with Boxo-search.com. Hence, to detect those programs you should scan your PC with the SpyHunter free scanner. Make sure you remove all the potential threats if any is found.
How to Delete Boxo-search.com
Windows 8 & Windows 8.1
- Slide the mouse cursor to the lower right corner of your screen.
- Click Settings on the Charm bar and go to Control Panel.
- Open Uninstall a program and remove Boxo-search.
Windows Vista & Windows 7
- Open the Start menu and click Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a program and remove Boxo-search.
- Click the Start menu button and navigate to Control Panel.
- Open Add or remove programs and uninstall Boxo-search.
Remove Boxo-search.com From Your Browser
- Click the search engine icon on the left of the search box.
- Select Change Search Settings and remove Boxo-search.com from the list.
- Set a new default search engine and click OK.
- Press Alt+T and select Options.
- Change your default homepage address under the General tab and click OK.
- Press Alt+T and click Add-ons.
- Disable and remove Boxo-search from Extensions.
- Restart your browser.
- Press Alt+F and go to More tools.
- Open Extensions and remove Boxo-search.
- Click Settings on the left.
- Mark Open a specific page or set of pages under On Startup.
- Click Set pages and change your homepage address. Click OK.
- Select Manage search engines under Search.
- Set a new default search engine, delete Boxo-search.com and click Done.
- Press Alt+T and click Manage add-ons.
- Remove Boxo-search from Toolbars and Extensions.
- Click Search providers on the left pane.
- Set a new default search engine, delete Boxo-search.com and click Close.
- Press Alt+T and select Internet options.
- Change your homepage address under the General tab. Click OK.
In non-techie terms:
Boxo-search.com will try to convince you that it is a reliable search service provider. Unfortunately, this search engine is a potential computer security threat, and you have to remove it from your PC as soon as possible. If you did not intend to have this search engine on your system, you most definitely have to take care of the issue at once. For an alternate removal guide please check out the removal instructions below.